Sunday, December 30, 2012

R.I.P.?

When you protest rape
I hope you realize
It makes you a hypocrite
If
You go back home
And
Wait for your wife to make tea
To bring food to the table
To get the children in bed
To have sex when you want.
If
You're the wife
And
You must do all the above
Because that's how things are.
If
You ask your sister
Where she's going
When she'll be back.
If there will be boys.
If
You will, tomorrow
Gawk at a girl.
Laugh with your friends
As she passes by.
If
Without
Pasting links on Facebook
Using trending hashtags on Twitter
Changing your profile pic to a dot
Carrying placards
You will not remember
Not one,
But a hundred women
Were raped on December 16.
More than one died.
More than one does not
Rest In Peace.

3 comments:

  1. Your words and thoughts have the depth and strength to reach the core of ones heart......you reached mine for sure.....the true meaning of freedom is still blurred in our lives. I hope and pray that someday we, man and woman, can rest in freedom!! (-not anupama! mousiki!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anupama & Mousiki,
    Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am not a protestor. I can't shout slogans. The only thing I can do is express what I feel. So glad you agree with my voice.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. Nice/neat/nasty.